Monday, June 20, 2016


Opening a Window



I lost my shit in a Publix parking lot on Sunday. The day began auspiciously enough. Jake made himself and Marleigh eggs for breakfast and by the time I exited my room around 8:30, the kitchen was clean and dishes were rinsed in the sink. By 12:45, I was exhausted, spent, worn out from the antagonizing, yelling, whining, pinching, fighting, name calling, and moans of, “I don’t want a Publix sub!" and fierce even toned mutters of, “I’m NOT getting a haircut.”

As we exited the Master Cuts, I threw my hands in the air and proclaimed, loudly it seems, “That’s it! I’m done! Get in the car!” I raised my head to catch the shocked expressions across the lot and
figured, “Screw it” as the tears began to come.

I entered the car crying, along with my shocked seven and nine year old. My head hit the steering wheel and I took a few deep breaths. I started talking to the kids, who by this time had also began crying. Mom of the Year.  A tap, tap, tap came from the outside of the driver’s window. I looked up to find a middle-aged woman wearing a soft smile peering into our debacle. I rolled down the window and she immediately started to rub my back. It wasn’t weird. It was kind.

“You’re having a breakdown. It’s okay. We all have them. I had one.” She reassured me. I grinned. How do you not grin at a stranger who has chosen not to be a bystander and judge your lunacy, but instead reach out and check on you while also admitting to lunacy? She immediately asked me if the children were going to be okay. I promised her yes. Yes, my children will be fine. She asked me if believed in God. I told her yes. She looked straight into my eyes and spoke. “It’s time for you to pray for courage, patience, and control.” She wasn’t wrong. She left.

I pulled myself out of my exhausted, pity hole and apologized for scaring the kids. They understood the frustration. They took ownership. A few lessons were learned from mom losing her shit. As we were ready to exit the car, the woman returned. She handed me some religious pamphlets and told me the answers were in there. I believe her. I’m not going to reach out to the religion. The pamphlets will be recycled, unread. It’s not about religion. It’s about the power of kindness, compassion, and action. It’s a common teaching found in all religious texts. And on this Sunday, I was lucky enough to be its recipient.

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need to loose our shit once in a while. Glad kindness and compassion were given when you needed it most. I'll read whatever you write!! Luv u.

      Delete
    2. We all need to loose our shit once in a while. Glad kindness and compassion were given when you needed it most. I'll read whatever you write!! Luv u.

      Delete
  2. We all need to loose our shit once in a while. Glad kindness and compassion was given when you needed it most. I'll read whatever you write!! Luv u.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, glad to see you're starting a blog. I just tried to write something insightful, but I sounded like a total douche and deleted it. We're alive, we live in a democracy and have food on our tables everyday! See, totally not douchey! Keep up the words Jen, I swear I won't drink during my next comment session.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Open, honest, insightful, helpful, purposeful....writung...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Open, honest, insightful, helpful, purposeful....writung...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You lost it but I found your voice! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved reading this! Soo true a little like every and kindness goes a long way. I'm waiting for someone in public to stop me and just tell me I'm a lunatic instead of "I understand" lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are amazing and I love you. So does this mean you are only going to lose your shit in public once? Because I do it one a week. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are amazing and I love you. So does this mean you are only going to lose your shit in public once? Because I do it one a week. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't worry, you are so not alone. I lose my shit (albeit often) too. The stress of the kids, the job, the constant to-dos is endless. And when they are shits, we lose our shit. I try to learn from it and apologize as well. None of us are perfect. Focus on the amazing egg breakfast and clean kitchen. The religion stuff does kinda help if you find the right books. Books for moms. Love ya, Jenn!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't worry, you are so not alone. I lose my shit (albeit often) too. The stress of the kids, the job, the constant to-dos is endless. And when they are shits, we lose our shit. I try to learn from it and apologize as well. None of us are perfect. Focus on the amazing egg breakfast and clean kitchen. The religion stuff does kinda help if you find the right books. Books for moms. Love ya, Jenn!!

    ReplyDelete